Saturday, July 02, 2005

New Shoes

Shoes are great, because they look the same on fat days and skinny days. They can dress up an ordinary outfit, or completely destroy a lovely one. (Think guys' deck shoes with socks.) I love shoes. Not that you'd know it - I tend to wear the same ones day after day after day, but I have a closet full of some beauties that I'm just waiting for the right opportunity to wear. Sometimes I think I just like the process of looking, trying them on, buying them, and then knowing that I own them. And that I might wear them someday. And even that I might not - and that's okay, because both the shoes and I will know that I could if I ever wanted. I get as much happiness from knowing they're in my closet as when they're actually on my feet. There's a tremendous sense of pleasure that comes with owning a few fabulously indulgent things - even if you never show them off.

Last week my hairdresser (male) said that he had just spent $200 on a pair of designer jeans. He was wearing them, and they didn't look any different really than an old pair of Gaps to me. But he was glowing. He said they FELT completely different. That HE felt completely different in them. He said that there's something that happens inside when you know that you're wearing a pair of $200 jeans. I totally get it. He's right.

So back to the shoes. I like to buy pretty shoes - but I like to wear the comfy ones. So today.... well, today was a big day for me (I say with reverence.) I found some pretty shoes that have thus far passed the comfy test. Can you believe it? And with a good mani and pedi - I'll be unstoppable.

Treat yourself (or someone you care about) to a nice pair of shoes today. Nuthin' says love like a good pair of sandals. For you, friend.

4 comments:

Beth Dargis said...

I love sandals by Rockport and Mephisto, they are really comfortable, look great and last a long time.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm.....

Anonymous said...

My therapist, Doctor Bean, told me that shoes are template for the soul. What shoes we wear, tells us and other people the type of soul we are.

See, we have two shoes, one for each foot, which is akin to the two sould theory popularized by Dr. Quentin McCracken back in the early 70's. McCracken's "Theory of the soul" describes the direct link to our footwear and our inner being.

Why do you think the bottom of a shoe is called the soul? Coincidence? I think not. Nor does Dr. McCracken, nor does Doc Bean.

Two shoes, two souls, one body. And the open-toed shoes are favored by those souls that tend to be more open and inviting. Closed toed shoes are worn by ones who fear letting others in.

And don't even get me started on "Pumps."

Anonymous said...

I was just gonna say that...